You never expect a medical professional’s negligence to cause you harm, so when it happens it can be confusing to determine the right steps to take. Because medical professionals go to school for many years to learn their skill, it can be difficult for anyone else to identify when a medical mistake occurs.
If you believe that you or a loved one was the victim of medical malpractice, it is crucial that you work with a lawyer. A medical malpractice lawyer can help your case in many ways.
How a Medical Malpractice Lawyer Can Help Your Case
A medical malpractice lawyer offers the following to your case:
- Gather evidence: Gathering evidence is an important part of building a medical malpractice case. Your lawyer will help you gather important evidence like medical records, accident reports, invoices, and income wage statements.
- Hire expert witnesses: An expert witness can provide insight into the medical industry and help to identify any mistakes that might have been made. An expert witness can also testify to the duties of the medical provider, as well as the expected standard of care.
- Speak with witnesses: Witnesses, like family members or other medical professionals, may be important to your case. Your legal team can identify any potential witnesses and gather their statements for trial.
- Allow you to focus on your recovery: A medical mistake can leave you in a painful and difficult financial position. When you have a legal team that you trust, you can focus on you, or your loved ones, recovery.
Hiring the right lawyer can make a difference in your case, especially because medical malpractice can be difficult to prove. The burden of proof in a medical malpractice case is on the plaintiff. This means that it is crucial to have a legal team that is familiar with the laws to uncover important details of your case.
Recover the Compensation That You Deserve
If a medical professional’s mistake led to an injury, or worse, then it is only right that they cover your costs. There are more than the medical costs to consider, including:
- Lost wages and benefits from time off of work
- Childcare costs if you are unable to care for your child
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
Some medical mistakes can be life-changing. They can leave you with permanent injuries or medical conditions that require ongoing care. This can make it difficult to return to work. It can also make it difficult to enjoy things that you once did, such as hobbies or sports. Each of these costs should be considered when determining the overall value of your case.
The state of Pennsylvania has strict statute of limitations when it comes to medical malpractice, so it is important to take action soon. We have just two years from the date of the mistake to file a lawsuit. There are some factors that affect this timeline, but they are not common. For this reason, it is important to reach out to a lawyer as soon as possible to ensure that you can collect the compensation that you deserve and need to recover.
Contact A Medical Malpractice Attorney for a Consultation About Your Case in New Jersey
Were you or a loved one injured due to medical malpractice in New Jersey? Then you need to talk to an experienced medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible for guidance on how to proceed. The Winslow medical malpractice attorneys at the Law Offices of Andres & Berger P.C. are prepared to assist you with your legal claim. We represent victims of negligent surgeons, doctors, nurses, and pharmacists throughout New Jersey, including Camden, Cherry Hill, Gloucester Township, and Winslow. Call us today at (856) 795-1444 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation. Our main office is located at 264 Kings Highway East, Haddonfield, NJ 08033.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.