The National Safety Council (NSC) estimates that one in nine drivers are distracted on the road—and two out of three are distracted in parking lots. Here’s what everyone who crosses a parking lot should know about parking lot crashes and distracted driving:
- Over 50,000 car accidents occur in U.S. parking lots and parking garages each year.
- Over 60,000 people are injured in parking lot accidents each year, and about 500 are killed.
- An NSC poll found that 66 percent of drivers say they make phone calls while driving in parking lots, and 56 percent say they text.
- GPS units also cause a major distraction in parking lots, with 63 percent of NSC poll respondents saying they’re programming their GPS as they pull out of the parking lot.
- About 51 percent of fatal parking lot accidents involve a driver who is distracted while backing up.
Drivers aren’t the only ones who may be distracted during a parking lot accident. Studies indicate that pedestrians who are looking at their cell phones or shopping lists may also contribute to accidents that can leave them or others seriously injured. Between 2001 and 2011, 11,000 pedestrians were seriously injured in parking lot accidents in which they were distracted by a cell phone at the time of the accident.
Parking lot accidents are not rare, and the number caused by distracted drivers is on the rise. Other drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists, and anyone else in the lot with a distracted driver may be injured.
Even though parking lot accidents typically occur at low speeds, they can still cause severe injuries. If a distracted driver caused you harm in a parking lot crash, an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney can help you understand your legal options and seek the compensation you deserve. Contact Andres & Berger today at 856-437-4080 or via our online contact form to learn more.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.